Today is my birthday! And, not just any birthday, but my GOLDEN birthday. That’s right, I’m 27 today on the 27th of July–that much closer to 30 :/ When I was younger, I remember being jealous of all of my friends whose golden birthdays were when we were young. I always thought “I’ll be 27–that’s so old” Well, I guess I was kinda right 😉 So, in honor of my birthday being today, a few of the 10 things I learned this week are centered around it—yes today I am going to be completely self centered.
1. No matter how old I get, I still get excited about birthday gifts. Alright, so the gifts I get now a days are just generally birthday cards–but I still LOVE getting them. It’s so much more personal to get a piece of mail that has been personally written for you by a loved one, than the hundreds of Happy Birthdays on Facebook. Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome to get Facebook love from so many–but those handwritten notes just make me giddy like a little girl. However, even though I personally love getting cards, I am the first one to forget sending them out for others. I am TERRIBLE at it!!! Funny how those things work.
2. Even though it’s my birthday, I don’t really get a break. I’ve said this many many times through my blog, but I have no idea what I would do if we had kids (hopefully I will find out the answer to that sooner rather than later) Having 4 animals certainly makes keeping a clean house much harder. I just swept and mopped last night, but after taking the dog for a walk, and then throwing the ball this morning, I had to mop up all of the muddy footprints she tracked in. Yes usually I wipe her feet, but when it’s already 80 degrees in the mornings and bone dry, you don’t really think about mud. So not only did I have to mop again, but there is always laundry to be done, dusting to do, litterboxes to clean out, the list goes on and on.
3. I love to be treated to a dinner out, but I HATE choosing where to go. My husband told me that he would take me wherever I wanted to go for dinner tonight when he gets home from work. Score! It will be nice to go on a little birthday date. The only problem? I’m terrible at making decisions. Suddenly, nothing sounds good to eat, and if it does, I worry if my husband will feel like eating there tonight. Does anyone else have this problem? And if you are in the Austin area, do you have any suggestions of places to try?
4. When I’m asked what I want for my birthday, I never have a good answer. Every year, my mom and husband ask what I want for my birthday, and the only things that come to mind are crazy expensive things, like a DSLR camera, a MAC, or a new tablet. I can never come up with anything else. The thing is, there are quite a few things I have had on my wish list, usually some sort of kitchen gadget, that I will never buy for myself. So I actually sat down and made a Wish List board on Pinterest. Now when they ask for Christmas, I’ll be better equipped to give them some ideas!
5. Even as the years go on, my birthday still makes me miss my Grandpa. He’s been gone for 5 years now, but I still miss him, especially on my birthday. His card was always the first one I got, and he was always the first one to call me on my special day. It was a running joke in the family, that no matter how old Grandpa got, he would never forget your birthday. It’s true! He NEVER forgot. And no matter how old you were, he always sent you $10 with your card for something special.
6. I wish I could just take a day and not do ANYTHING. I can’t remember the last time I did that. Sure my husband and I just took a little beach trip, but it wasn’t exactly relaxing. I still had to cook dinner, we went grocery shopping, and struggled setting up our tent. My trip to Veronica’s was a little more relaxing, but I still just want a day where I can lie around, read a book, and just do nothing. No cooking, no cleaning, no blogging. Nothing. It’s been awhile.
7. I’ve been out of college for 5 years, and even though my husband and I have been married for almost 3 years, most of the “stuff” we have is still from our college days–things like kitchen tools, some furniture, and dishes. Luckily, some of my college stuff was pretty nice because I happened to work at Bombay Co. until they went out of business, but I think it’s time to start replacing other things. Our flatware is pretty terrible, and a lot of my dishes are starting to chip. It just goes to show that when you buy things cheap, they don’t last for very long. The next round of dishes and flatware will be quality!
8. My life has gotten so busy to the point that I needed to make an hourly schedule so I know what I should be doing when I’m not at work. I literally wrote out every hour from 6 am to 9 pm for everyday. It does keep me on track a little bit better. I had so much going on between working full time, keeping the house clean, grocery shopping, and then blogging–which I tallied up at 25 hours/week–that I felt like I was forgetting to do a lot of things that I did on a normal basis and I was falling behind in household chores. At least now I have something to reference to see what I should be doing at what time, and make sure I didn’t forget to do something. Now I see why moms carry a planner with them!!
9. There is an attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer for just about anything. Pasta maker, grain mill, meat grinder, food slicer, and today I found out there is even an attachment for ice cream making! I may just have to try that! I have been wanting an ice cream maker, but the quality ones were a lot more than I wanted to spend. How awesome would it be to have one appliance that did just about anything you needed it to.
10. Vintage Pyrex is so pretty. I would kill to have some of those patterns. Funny how some of the dishes my mom has and my grandma had, are now considered antique and worth quite a bit of money. My mom’s response to this was “hard to believe my everday dishes are now antiques, guess that makes me an antique”. Funny lady.
Love what you see??
Subscribe to get our weekly email updates and subscriber only freebies. You'll never miss out on recipes, DIY projects or helpful tips and life hacks.