Finally! The coffee table makeover is complete! I had some set backs that prevented me from completing it as quickly as I thought. Who would have thought I would have to wait for it to warm up in TEXAS to be able to finish painting? I certainly didn’t! But after 3 weeks I finally have a finished product to show you.
Because I tend to get “in the zone” when I’m doing a project, or even cooking, I lack a lot of step by step photos, but I think you can figure it out.
In case you missed out on the first part of this project (or you need to refresh yourself) you can check it out here
After sanding everything down, I painted 2 coats of an oil based primer on the drawers, legs, and frame. On the top I used 4 coats to cover up the veneer. I wanted to use oil based paint because it sticks onto wood surfaces better than latex—personal opinion!
The paint I used on the legs, frame and drawers was a latex based paint from Glidden called “Natural Wicker” It is an antiqued white and looks great for the cottage feel I was going for. For the top I used Behr’s oil based paint in ” Dark Truffle” I did have the associate add in a little more black to the mix for a darker look. My only complaint is that it’s not as “espresso” as I was hoping, but since I couldn’t use a stain this is the closest I could get.
Here are all of the pieces after being painted. William is always up for enhancing my pictures 😉
I used 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of Polyurethane on the legs, frame and drawers. For the top I used 4 coats of paint for extra coverage, and 2 coats of Polyurethane to make sure it was nice and protected. I suggest using Satin based paint for the top and bottom as well as the Polyurethane.
Here is my beautiful new coffee table! I can’t wait to see it with my new couch in a few days! Next up is a new area rug!
Stay tuned for my next furniture rehab project where I take our original coffee table (before this one) and convert it to a bench! Can’t wait to start…