I’m visiting my family in Illinois until Thursday because of a mishap my dad had with a pressure washer, ladder, landscaping brick, and his heel. You get the picture.
Since it was a holiday weekend, it worked out perfectly for my family and my in laws to get together for a cookout. We haven’t done this in well over a year, so it was nice to have everyone together. My husband’s grandparents have some beautiful property (in the middle of a few cornfields) where they have put a pretty large pond. The weather was gorgeous-no rain, a slight breeze to keep it cool and lower than normal temperatures (80 degrees).
I decided I would be in charge of bringing a few desserts. After all, those are my favorite things to make. It just so happened my mom had this recipe she had gotten from my brother’s girlfriend the weekend before. They are both really into eating healthy, and staying fit. I figured these would be a good cookie to bring.
These banana smush cookies have no eggs, sugar, butter, or flour. You can make them vegan by using almond milk, or you can use regular milk. I only had cow’s milk at my mom’s so that’s what we used. I think almond milk would be a great addition to these cookies.
You start by smushing up your bananas. The recipe calls for 3, but I had very large bananas so I only used 2. Now if you are a banana freak, you can be daring and use all 3.
After they were mashed I added in the applesauce and oats, and mixed it well.
Then came milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
In the first batch, we added in chocolate chips, but the second batch we used dried cranberries and walnuts. They were both delicious!
When you place them out on the baking sheet, be sure to smash them down with the spoon to flatten them. These cookies don’t spread, so whatever shape they are on the baking sheet, that is the shape they will be forever–well at least until you eat them.
And there you have it! An easy, healthy, yummy cookie. You can change up what you add to them. Next time my mom is going to add dried apricots to them.
- 2-3 RIPE bananas (I used 2 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- mix ins of choice (chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, etc)
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Add in applesauce and oats and stir until well combined. Add in milk, vanilla, cinnamon and mix ins. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Lightly smush the cookies flat with your finger or spoon. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until done.
- Since these cookies have no flour, baking soda, or egg, the do not spread out. Smushing the cookies flat will help them look less like a lump and more like a cookie!
Love what you see??
Subscribe to get our weekly email updates and subscriber only freebies. You'll never miss out on recipes, DIY projects or helpful tips and life hacks.