Loaded to the brim with gooey, cheesy goodness, this cheesy cauliflower casserole is the perfect low-carb and keto friendly macaroni and cheese substitute. With only a handful of ingredients, this yummy filling side dish comes together with little effort on your part.
If you’ve been reading for a bit, you know my husband and I recently embarked on a new diet and lifestyle change. So far with the Ketogenic diet we have lost over 60 pounds combined since April. Pretty amazing right? Well with any diet, there are certain cravings that can be enough to break some people. I would probably be one of those people if I didn’t see first hand the results from this way of eating.
So what’s on my list of things I miss? First off, bread. Like fresh, hot out of the oven with a crunchy crust, slathered in butter, bread. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin.
Something else I miss? Macaroni and cheese. I love mac and cheese, especially the homemade, topped with breadcrumbs, loaded with cheese kind. But let’s be honest, right now I’d settle for the cheap blue box with powdered “cheese” kind and I would happily devour the entire box without remorse.
Ok, maybe just a tiny bit of remorse.
Thankfully, my favorite ever versatile veggie cauliflower has rescued me from myself. And from the blue box mac and cheese.
Even if you aren’t following a low-carb or keto diet, you can still enjoy this cheesy cauliflower casserole. It’s a great way to jazz up the everyday boring side dish and with only a few ingredients, it couldn’t get any easier make. Go ahead and top it with crunchy bread crumbs or even crackers to give it a little crunch. I’ll look the other way.
- 1 whole head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x9 glass baking dish
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and ½ tsp salt and cook until cauliflower is just fork tender. Do not over cook.
- Drain cauliflower well and place back in pot. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring cream to a simmer, stirring well to avoid scorching.
- Whisk in cream cheese and mustard and stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup shredded cheese and seasonings.
- Pour over cauliflower and gently mix to combine.
- Place cauliflower in prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned, or about 15 minutes.
- For an extra bubbly topping, broil on high for 2-3 minutes but be sure to watch carefully
You may also enjoy:
Struggle with answering "what's for dinner"?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter and receive your FREE Meal Planning Workbook!