I came across this recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup a few years ago in a magazine. I don’t even remember which magazine it was, I just tore it out and stuck it in a recipes binder. I’ve made this soup a few times, and it is always so good, so creamy, and so filling. It really is pretty easy to make too, and you can adapt it to cook in the Crock Pot.
My favorite way to make this soup is by using fresh from the garden tomatoes and herbs, but since it’s the middle of winter, I settled for canned tomatoes, and dried herbs. You can use whatever you have on hand.
I like to make this on the stove top, just because if I’m making something in the Crock Pot, I don’t want an extra step to do before it’s ready to eat. I like the meals that are fully cooked in the slow cookers, you know? Besides, I feel all gourmet when I whip out this recipe for my hubby, even if it is a pretty simple recipe to make.
But, if you want to make it in the Crock Pot, just make the roux about 30 minutes before you want to serve, and then finish cooking on low for 30 minutes.
What are your favorite soups to make?
- 3 cups diced tomatoes, or 2 cans with juices
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1 tbsp dried basil or 4 tbsp fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 cup parmesan
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half, warmed.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil on medium high heat. Add celery, onion, and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes)
- While mixture is simmering, melt butter over low heat in a separate pot.
- Whisk in flour, and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- SLOWLY add in 1 cup of soup, and whisk until smooth.
- Add in 2 more cups of soup and mix until smooth.
- Add mixture back into soup pot, simmer, stirring constantly, until soup thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk in Parmesan until well blended.
- Stir in warmed milk (or half and half) and salt and pepper.
- Let soup simmer on low heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
- If making in the slow cooker, add tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, broth, and seasonings to pot. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, prepare roux like above, and add back to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
Linking up to these great parties: Teach Me Tuesday | Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party | Two Uses Tuesday | Wake Up Wednesday | Cook It Craft It Share It
Love what you see??
Subscribe to get our weekly email updates and subscriber only freebies. You'll never miss out on recipes, DIY projects or helpful tips and life hacks.