Sweet, moist lemon poppyseed muffins, made with Greek yogurt and topped with a tart lemon glaze. Enjoy for breakfast on the go, or a quick snack.
I may have mentioned here before about how much I love the flavor of lemon. When it comes to desserts, it just may be my favorite flavor. Next to chocolate anyway.
There is just something so refreshing, especially in the Spring and Summer, about the flavor of lemon. I guess the combination of tartness and sweetness is what makes it special.
The secret to these lemon poppyseed muffins staying super moist is the vanilla Greek yogurt. And the tartness of the lemon juice in the lemon glaze really gives the muffins the something extra they deserve.
Make them in a double or triple batch and freeze the extras!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted*
- Preheat oven to 450 and liberally grease a muffin baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, lemon juice, zest and greek yogurt.
- Add in dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix or the muffins will become tough.
- Stir in poppyseeds.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins until each is about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before adding the glaze.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in sifted powdered sugar until combined and sugar is dissolved.
- With a spoon, drizzle glaze over muffins and allow to cool before serving.
- *If the powdered sugar is not sifted you may end up with clumps that do not dissolve completely.
You may also enjoy:
Love what you see??
Subscribe to get our weekly email updates and subscriber only freebies. You'll never miss out on recipes, DIY projects or helpful tips and life hacks.