These crusty whole wheat bread bowls are the perfect companion for a hearty soup on cold winter day and are simple to make using just a few ingredients and a bread machine.
I love the smell of fresh baked bread wafting through the house on a rainy, dreary day. Yesterday was actually one of those few and far between days here in Texas. While it wasn’t chilly outside by any stretch of the imagination, the cloudy and rainy sky made it seem that way.
And that’s all I need for an excuse to whip out my trusty ol’ bread maker. I currently use an older version of this machine* that my mom gifted me a few years ago. She had it for several years and the only time it ever got used was when I was still living there. No sense in letting a good machine just sit in a cabinet, forgotten!
If you keep up with my weekly meal plans you may remember seeing broccoli cheese soup on the menu for dinner last night. And probably the best way to eat said soup is inside warm, crusty, whole wheat bread bowls. Am I right?
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is! Just a few ingredients, and not much in the way of prep work thanks to the bread machine.
You could adapt this recipe to make the dough by hand too, but where’s the fun in being elbow deep in sticky dough and flour?
- 1 cup + 3 TBS warm water
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups Whole Wheat flour
- 1 cup Bread flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 egg white
- In the bowl of a bread machine, combine all ingredients minus egg white in the order listed.
- Select the dough cycle on machine and let run.
- Once cycle is complete, turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let dough balls rise for 30 minutes. While rising, preheat oven to 400.
- Brush tops of dough balls with egg white wash and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To serve, cut top off each and hollow out being sure to leave the bottom and sides in tact.
Love what you see??
Subscribe to get our weekly email updates and subscriber only freebies. You'll never miss out on recipes, DIY projects or helpful tips and life hacks.